Monday, August 4, 2008

Oh how the way things used to be

I think I had my first case of homesickness the other day. It started off with a malaria medication induced dream. Itís a side affect of the medication that produces extremely vivid and sometimes stressful dreams. There will be mornings when I wake up and I really thought I went somewhere else in the middle of the night. So when I dream about the states or people I miss back home, it sucks to wake up in a strange place thousands of miles away. We were all talking about this the other day. When you wake up after these dreams and you're lying in bed not wanting to open your eyes to reality but it's too late because you can now feel the boards under your thin foam mattress and those people yelling/crying outside your window are your host siblings. Someone had a dream about how they were in the states, using high speed internet with 15 windows open and were all staring around it in awe of it's speed.

I may have mentioned this before, but the largest contributor to missing my old life, is that there is nothing that reminds me of it here besides the things that I brought in two 50lb luggages and the other volunteers. Itís like everything Iíve experienced in my life is suddenly not there. And now Iíve just picked up a new life in another language that Iíve got to get used to it. Although there are some random times, like when I was helping my sisters cook dinner over the traditional fire stove, and we sing Usher and Rihanna. My host brother knows more about whats new in the U.S. elections than I do. My host father thinks that McCain won't win because he doesn't understand the "hip-hop".

There are some things that I would have never thought Iíd miss either. I would love to go to a baseball game right now. The convenience of a grocery store is huge. Even before you walk into the grocery store.. Automatic doors so you can stroll a cart on wheels through it. Before that though: parking lots. I'd look like a crazy person if I started taking pictures of automatic doors and paved roads.

I don't miss everything though and there are creative solutions to everything here. Cooking is a good example. No rolling pin solution: beer bottle. No plates or napkins= random scrap paper and toilet paper(sometimes). Picture for sangria and wine glasses, definitely don't have that but we use a water filter bucket and we cut plastic water bottles to make into stemware. And cooking utensils pretty much comprise a couple forks and spoons. And most of all, thanks to the other amazing trainees and volunteers here, things are not that bad at all.

18 days until I'm officially a volunteer and moving out into the east! Miss you all very much!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I love your clock of Cameroon that you have on the blog. I can imagine what you are doing at that given time.
We will try and send reminders of home. As soon as I learn how to download pictures you will have more to look at. I will send hard copies so your walls can shine with our smiles.
Love you to pieces,
Mom

Luann said...

Hey girl,
As far as the U.S elections, here's the thing I don't get. Why out of all the smart americans we only get to choose from 2 canidates for our US President, but for Miss USA we get to choose from 52 canidates? What a country!

Can't believe it's only 17 days until you're officially a PCV.

Your experience will certainly simplify your life as Americans we should all do.

Keep up the great work.
Love ya!

Lauren said...

I would send you a homemade Magnolia cupcake if I thought it would make it that far. :)

Hopefully you are feeling better though and getting more excited about all the work you are finally going to get to do soon! I'm jealous!!

Being here for Taco Bell and Chipotle is so not worth giving up what you have there. hehe :) think of it that way.