Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th!!!

Maggie and Patou
The "paved" streets of baffousam, the large provincial capital with cratersize potholes
Et moi!


Recognize me still?? I'm assimulating into the Cameroonian culture and I'm pretty happy that it includes getting my hair done and buying clothes. I love it. The hair took 5 to 6 hours and it was a bit painful at times. I like it though because its kind of crazy looking and it's less time I spend in the freezing shower. Maybe next time we might put some bright blonde or use some red weave. I bought some Peace Corps pagne (pagne is the vivid, colorful and paterned material), and I'm really excited to get another formal dress. Like a true father, my host dad said to me.. "You're getting you hair all done up and you've got a new african outfit... Who's the boy??"

School has been going great, it's been really busy. We went to a neighboring city to visit a couple Microfinance Banks there. The highlight of the trip being that we went to a supermarket (aka a small size grocery store in the states). There are definitely things that I'm able to purchase here in Bagangte, but there are no "stores" that one actually "goes into". Its more street vendors and 3 walled street shops where I do my shopping. And of course there is the market on wednesdays and saturdays, like a farmer's market only I can get tooth paste, flip flops, plastic flowers and other random things.

We've been given plenty of "homework". I'm working with a Restaurant/bar/catering company here on how to improve their services. Yup. I'm advising a business in French. Insane. At school, we've also started a Village and Savings Loan Association, something that I'll might start up at my post so people who don't have enough money for a bank account can be apart of an association that one can buy shares of, accures interest and are able to take out loans. And then the last assignment we have to work on is a needs analsyt of the town. There is a final cultural assigment that's pretty big, but not until the end of training. Probably an easy guess, but I'm doing my assignment on Cameroonian Cuisine. Oh and did I mention that we are no longer able to speak english at school.. whatsoever, even to each other when class hasn't started. I've already been caught breaking that rule. Manytimes

One more week and we find out where we're going to be posted. Cameroon is as diverse as the United States even though it's about the size of Califonia. There are 10 very different provinces so I'm very excited to be able to tell you exactly where I'm going to be soon. Everyone is still with us, unfortunately though, one girl is really sick with Malaria AND Typhoid. Yes those are both diseases that one in the United States hasn't had to worry about for 100 years, but even with the vaccines and preventive medication.. it's still very possible here. Shes a tough girl though so we're all hoping she gets better soon.

I taught my younger sister and brother (Patou and Maggie) how to play egyptian rat screw.. hilarious. Only in Africa these kids know how to cheat in card games BEFORE they actually learn the game. Oh and we're painting our nails on saturday.. get excited.

Oh and I know that my Aunt posted a comment about sending mail, which is great because I forgot to do that. If you do want to send mail... write religious symbols all over it, crosses, pictures of jesus, and feel free to address it to Sister Siobhan Perkins. Because mail like that has got something like a 50% greater chance of actually reaching me. Send nothing of value though. No guarentee that every customs official loves jesus.

Happy 4th of July!!

9 comments:

Luann said...

OMG! You look awesome! Talk about blending in. Your hair looks so much darker. You have way more patients than I would. Love the photo of Patou and Maggie. Patou looks like he is tall.
The Restaurant/Catering is a perfect fit for you, other than maybe a coffe shop/cafe, which you love. Very cool.
Sister Siobhan! LOL!
Who's got the holy water?

Do you have a preference what region you want to be in?

Congrats to all for hanging in there. You all make a difference.
Miss ya! Aunt Lu

Mom said...

Where's the our Siobhan? You look great! Your hair does look dark but don't change it yet. You look like a totally different person. Dad said your dress fits you really well. It isn't baggy. Love the style. How exciting. Your hair doesn't take long to wash now.
You better behave in school or your name will be put on the board and you will miss your recess.
Happy 4th to you.
Say hi to your family.
Love Mom and Dad

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh your hair!!! That's awesome! It looks like you're definitely having a great time there and getting into all sorts of new things.

And I definitely think Sister Siobhan is something that's going to stick for awhile. hehe.

Talk to you later!

Lauren

Mom said...

hey bonis whats good? I like your cornrows. You sound like you are having a good time there. Not much happening here same crap different day. Your family seems fun to live with. I get posted daily with news from mom and dad so i can kept up with everything. Let us know how things are k.
Miss you alot!
Analesa.
p.s. Stay out of the sun and away from skeeters.

Karly said...

Siobhan! I am in love with your blog. So many things are similar but I also love hearing about the differences in francophone africa. Your outfit looks amazing, In Senegal they call it a jupe ak taille bass which is a guess a mix of french and wolof but i'm sure they've got a great name in cameroon too. Keep the posts coming and best wishes, as always, from the states :)

Luann said...

"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience."

Be well!

Siobhan in Cameroon said...

Thanks again so much for all of your comments! Im glad you all like my hair too, im actually graded on stuff like this from the peace corps, aka how well i take to the culture. its a great excuse for new outfits

Linds said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! And look SO COOL... have I told you home much cooler than me you are? cause you are, its official, you RULE!

Unknown said...

SHIVY,

I love the stories, write like... 100x more of them. Once I figure out how much it actually cost me to call you i'll do it again, haha, but I miss you so much and i've never been prouder of anyone for doing something so cool. And your hair rocks/scares me.