Monday, June 30, 2008

God bless the rains down in Africa

My sister Josiane and I


Seriously, thank you rain. Yesterday it rained so hard, that for a half an hour we couldn't hear each other in french class. It was great. The rain was so loud our professor had to assign a reading instead of discussion.


I've been hanging out more and more with my family. Getting to know them better, maybe even comming close to figuring out just how many people are family (it keeps expanding as the weeks go on). My 14 year old sister maggie, now lives our house as well instead of living with her mother in another town. We read Dr. Suess's "Oh the Places You'll Go" together. Dr. Seuss isn't the best english grammar example.. she was like "what's a who-sit? or a mind-maker-uper?" We translated it in french which she understood a bit better, and it was surprisingly hilarious. Maggie, Patuo and I watched Enchanted in french the other day as well. The songs are GREAT in french. And I didn't realize how funny the movie was until I saw those two laughing hysterically. They loved it! It's amazing how something can be so much better once you see someone else enjoying it. So since then, I've been hanging out with maggie more. She actually likes to quiz me with accounting words (in french). She's 14, doesn't know much about accounting but yet still tries to also memorize the words in english. If I was her age on my summer vacation, I wouldn't be looking at finance terms in a foreign language for fun. Education isn't free so they work pretty hard for it here.


On another note, I've got roommates.. yup. Mice. They kept me awake for 3 nights. They literally walk in throught the front door of hour house, and then crawl underneath my door I'm hoping now that they're gone. I put out some poison for them to chew on instead. Thank goodness I haven't woken up to them nibbling at my feet in bed like another trainee. And theyre pretty tiny here too, the same size as the cockroaches actually, which gives you an idea just how big those are. Im going to post more in the next couple of days.. picutres too of my new clothes and hair...

4 comments:

Luann said...

What a sweet picture. Where is Patuo? Can't wait to see you in your African clothing. No doubt it will match those Red shoes you have. Not sure what you mean about your hair, unless the water isn't agreeing with the chemicals in your hair product.
Mice! Yikes, and I thought having ants in my house was bad.
Glad all is going well and you are more comfortable with your 2nd family.
Be well
Love Aunt Lu

Mom said...

I'm sure you didn't mind a reprieve from your french class as the rains come down. We finally had a day without rain. We are drenched in some areas.
It's great you are getting so much help from your family in learning more french. Can you put Enchanted music in french on your phone as you did in english here?
You'll have to make a tape of it and sending it to Maggie and Amy. I can hear them now.
I can't wait to see your new style. We will have to alert Dawn so she can see what you are doing with your hair now. It was nice of the girls to do your hair.
Love ya to pieces,
Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Much love to Dr. Seus! I pulled out my copy to include it into a "chapel talk" I will be giving at the girls camp...we shall see how thrilled they are with using Dr. Seus-isms along with Jesus...haha. It is so funny to think of you hanging around with your host family and enjoying the slower paced life..congrats!!
Totally went fishing with a camper - who had never even used a fishing rod before - and laughed so hard when she walked out into the water as stated that "this must work better, fish will like me if i'm a part of them" with her rainboats on...i thought of you fishing technique! So great to read what you are up to on your fabulous adventure!! Much love and cheer! kathleen

Linds said...

I miss Siobhan!!!!!

But really, i think you just made me die. Cockroaches the size of small mice?!??!!? eww... that is like my worst nightmare. I can't even think about it again.

I am also interested in your make over, make over, make over!!

I can't get over how much cooler you are than me, cause i would be curled up in a sleepless ball, if I were over there.

You are one bad ass chick! Love, Lindsey