Friday, June 6, 2008

Flying out tonight!

It's finally here! I'm headed to Yaounde, Cameroon with the Peace Corps this evening. It's been quite a process to get this far but I'm happy that I'm here. The past month has flown by, I'm happy that I've gotten to spend time with people I really care about and I know I'll miss so much. To those who I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to, I'm sorry I missed you! I really do hope to keep in touch with everyone as best as Cameroon's internet/cell service will allow.

So for the past 3 days I've been in Philadelphia for a short orientation. I've met the other 37 volunteer's I'll be training with for the next 12 weeks and they are all incredible. It's amazing how soon we've gotten to know each other and how well we all get along. Half of us are in the Small Business Program, including myself as a Small Business Advisor. The other half are teaching english, i. t. or science. Unfortunately, I don't have my official post just yet, but until august 22, 2008 I'll be in the town of Bagante for Pre-Service training. The majority of us are girls, about 60% which is pretty common for the peace corps and we've from all over the U.S. Surprisingly, I'm not the only one who's brought maple syrup either. However, I did bring the most hair product. The days have been packed with training sessions and at night we've been enjoying our last american meals and beverages. The Peace Corps staff have been great resources and have done a great job of providing us with information.

After all this anxiousness, paperwork, vaccinations, etc. I'm finally headed off to the airport for a longggg flight. Please feel free to send mail and emails! I've really appreciated all your support and best wishes and hope to hear from everyone. Take care and au revoir

1 comment:

Luann said...

Hey Girl,

Glad to hear all went well in Philly. I'm sure you gals will pass the time on the flight with your movies and music.
It's been in the 90's here, I guess like being in parts of Africa just not as interesting.
Safe Travels. Look forward to your next post.
Be Well!
Love Aunt Lu