Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Peace Corps Health session

If you know me pretty well, some of you might find this surprising, but I'm actually liking the slower pace of life here. The word "to hurry" doesn't exist in cameroon and I'm okay with that. It's nice taking my time, saying hello to people and asking them how they are doing, even though I may have just seen then 2 hours before. I'm not sure I'm liking it because living here is still really new to me, or because I actually like it. But for right now, it's good. I'm surprisingly not bored. (that statement excludes french class). The days go by fast, but it seems like I've been living this life for more than the two weeks that I've been here.

I really have the chance to take everything in here. It's made me wish I'd done the same at home more often, because if you don't know already... americans have it pretty darn good. There are some things that unknowningly we take advantage of. Without steet signs, directions go like this "take a right at the corn field, go past 2 patches of corn, and there should be a trail next to some corn a bit further". Trash removal-- if it wasn't picked up for you..where do you think it would go? probably around some corn fields. Universal education is essential. I've got a extreme version of a brita filter and that's the ONLY water I'm drinking. You can't just eat or drink anything else without excepting the possibility of getting a parasite or getting sick with something else.

Speaking of which, we had a very imformative health lesson yesterday with one of our Medical Officers who is very to the point and doesn't sugar coat anything when talking about what health issues we're going to face. I think I can handle alot but just listening to this session, I wanted to be sick. I especially enjoy that sometimes out self diagnosis results can be something like "a flu or dysentry", "ringworm or just a bacteria fungus rash".. awesome.What's difference again? We're taught how to self diagnosis and often self medicate which sometimes is the best option and is pretty intense. I bet you've never ironed all of your clothes, and underwear! to prevent mango bugs from hatching underneath your skin. Ohhh you bet I have though, right after that health info session.

I was going to end with a funny story about how a chicken walked into the bar the other day. Until another volunteer said that a chicken and it's chicks walked into his morning shower and it was much funnier.

10 comments:

Luann said...

Hey Siobhan,

You're right Americans have it so easy. We take so much for granted. I had a pretty mushy looking banana yesterday and someone asked if I was actually going to eat it. Of course I said yes, can't waste any food, with more people needing assistance these days.

I read the blog from Jim about the chickens (mother hen and 3 babies) in his bathroom. That was too funny. Didn't seem to faze him much.

Have a great day.
Love Aunt Lu

Lauren said...

Siobhan! I'm glad you made it there okay and are having a great time so far. I realized how far behind I was on reading your blog cause the last time I looked there was nothing here! haha.

Anyways, I hope you continue to have wonderful experiences and I can't wait to hear more. I am so excited for you! :)

Talk to you later,
Lauren

Lauren said...

It says Diana. I tried to make it stop. Clearly I was unsuccessful. ;)

Amy said...

Hey Siobhan, I've been reading your blog and other PCV blogs. All are very interesting. Makes you realize how much we have.
Not much exciting happening here, made it to work safely with the help of traffic lights.........
Talked to your mom today she said Perk was pretty happy you called him for Fathers Day. Shane called Loren too, I thought that was nice.
We had a get together here for Fathers Day, Britini and Jason even showed up. We all went for a swim had some good food and a few beers.
Sounds like you're settling in well and enjoying yourself even with all the red mud and cold showers.
Talk to ya soon
Amy

Mom said...

Hey Girl,
Your mama finally learned how to comment thanks to Aunt Lu. I am bad at this.
You are enjoying the slower pace. Imagine that. You would fit right in with Dad and I on the chairs watching the traffic on our road. It's a good thing that is happening with you. Even the santitary issues are an experience you won't forget. You will be an expert and can teach us a few things we never imagined. Be careful when you iron your shorts. I don't know how much heat they can take.
Do you have an electric stove or is it wood?
Love
Mom

Luann said...

Quote
"Aim for the moon...even if you miss you'll land amoungst the stars."

Have a great day!

Aunt Lu

awsmith said...

Siobhan!

I am so happy you have made it to Cameroon. All those days of you going to the doctors in DC and filling out paper work have finally brought you to your dream!

Haha-I love that you tried to explain maple syrup festivals and deer hunting in french to people who do not know what either are. They might think youre crazy initially, but I think you are going to fit in great!

I love all your posts so far. We miss you at the office...well mostly me :) If I can figure out how to internationally ship a vanilla latte from abp in a bubble envelope, I will!

Bonne chance avec la francais. Je veux etudier francais aussi! Au revoir mon amie!

Poppy&Gammy said...

Hi Siobhan: We are haveing Friday night pizza. We are happy for you that things are going good. We know that they are very lucky to have you there. You are in our prayers always. GO DOO!

Jenn said...

So it looks like your family is totally ahead of me on this. I had no idea until today that I could even post on these things! I came across it by accident. Apparently I have an account too 'cuz I didn't even have to sign in....weired. Anyway nothing to really post since I've said it all in the e-mails, but have a great day! I'll try and give you a call next week!
Talk to you later!
Jenn

Luann said...

"I gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which I must stop and look fear in the face...I say to myself, I’ve lived through this and can take the next thing that comes along."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

You're doing great things there.