Friday, February 20, 2009

February Funk

I've realized that I no longer have the same enthusiasm I had before when it comes to writing blogs, emails and letters. This has happened for 2 reasons that pretty much exist across most volunteer's experience. First of all, things are just not that exciting or surprising anymore. So a sourcer was involved in someone’s death in town, that’s pretty normal. I had to shove some chicken gizzards down the other day because a friend kindly offered us the best parts of the chicken but that’s not really out of the ordinary. In short, most things in my life now are "normal". With that said, I've got a feeling I'm going to be a little strange when I get back...

Secondly, its not all beer and candy, sometimes living here just sucks. I complained for about 3 paragraphs but decided to make it a bit shorter, and less, well bitchy. I am tired of: bugs/mice, not being understood, Cameroonians giving me a lot of shit all day long, the overall lack of motivation, being away from family and friends, taking pepto pink crap and living in a less developed country in general. There I said it. And I feel a bit better.

I didn't want to be negative, so instead I just stopped writing. I think I'm slowly getting over the funk though. March is going to be a busy month and then April I'm taking off to France for a couple weeks (and I AM So EXCITED). I'm hoping to help with the newbie’s arriving in June which will be fun, and then already I'm at a year mark... not bad! I've never regretted my decision to be here, I've never thought about leaving and I don't think this is the last time I'll live in Africa. And all that is pretty darn good I think.

As always, thank you for your continuing support, the cards, the packages, the positive comments and lots of emails. It makes a world of difference. thank you and love, Siobhan

1 comment:

Luann said...

I wish I could be there to give you a big hug! You rock!

Love and miss you lots
Aunt Lu